Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Why pay more on skincare and cosmetics?

Frugal. Economical. Thrifty.

That's what I am.

I used to be quite the extreme frugal shopper... probably even outright cheap. When it came to skincare/cosmetics, I would look around for the cheapest deal. If I wanted face wash, I would look at every single face wash at local drugstores, calculate the price per 100ml, and then choose the cheapest. This is how I chose most of what I bought. I figured soap is soap. Eyeshadow is eyeshadow. Lipstick is lipstick. How much better could a more expensive one be?


Because of my cheap spending habits, I had only experienced using cheap products. But, a random day came when I got to try my first upscale product. My German housemate in the UK had given me her leftover face masks that she couldn't take with her. I had previously tried random masks from my mom and thought it all was just so "whatever". But, I hated wasting things, so I used the face masks that my housemate left me. When I washed the first one off, I was like, "OMG What is this MAGIC?!". My skin experienced a kind of softness it has never felt since I was a baby. This discovery was mind-blowing for me. It blew out all my previous cynicism towards "luxury" skincare/cosmetics.

I thought of all the times I thought there was no way there would be an eyeliner that never smudges, a SPF cream that doesn't put a horrible white cast on my face, lipstick/lipgloss that won't fade away in a few licks of the tongue, scar-removal/anti-pigmentation products that would actually work, or face cream that wouldn't keep me awake all night because it was just too sticky! Then, it dawned on me. Perhaps, these kind of products exist somewhere out there. If only I didn't buy only the cheapest products this whole time!

Since then, I've had more experience and exposure to better quality products. I finally get why people are willing to spend on expensive skincare and cosmetics. Most expensive products are better in quality. They work so much better, and some of them could really surprise you. I used to deny it, but I guess I have to admit that there is some truth in the saying, "You get what you pay for" after all.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not all about expensive products now. The frugal side of me still keeps me optimistic and hopeful to find products that break that rule (If any of you readers know of one, do let me know!).
However, I learned there is a trade-off. So, the way to go is to spend on reasonably priced, good quality products instead of spending on cheap, ineffective products with the hope that it would work. Save yourself the time, frustration and heartache.

How do I find good quality products?  

 

Research products online, read reviews from several (not just one) reviewers and of course, use your own discretion to figure out if something that's raved about online could really be true and worth all your hard earned money. Some things could just be the result of a successful advertising campaign that managed to get everyone, even the most sincere of reviewers, to think that something is way better than it actually is.

Seriously, if there was some sort of face wash with "real gold powder" in it that's supposed to brighten your face... Well, I sure will go out and buy tons of it, then sift out all the gold, and sell it for a profit. That's sure to brighten my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share this!