Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Do I really need facial mist?

What is facial mist for? Do I even need it?


The most hilarious response I've seen is...
The main purpose of face mist is to separate you from your money. It's a ridiculous waste. Don't buy any. source
I gotta say... There is some truth in that. It's not entirely a ridiculous waste of money. It has its uses, but I guess one would say it's a waste because its uses are quite minor and many can live without them.

But why do makeup artists always have mists in their kit?

Beauty experts on byrdie.com glorify the uses of mist by saying...
"The mixture really hydrates and energizes the face before I start applying makeup"

"I use them primarily to get makeup to settle into the skin, so that it doesn't feel like the makeup is sitting on top of the skin"

"It feels good to spray water on your face and a mist lets you do that without ruining your makeup"
and fashionista.com:
"Mists are beauty lifesavers and can take you from looking tired and lackluster to bright and dewy in seconds... alternative uses are scolding your cat, warding off zombies and pretending you went to the gym."
Are facial mists a quick replacement for moisturizers?

In general, mist is NOT a replacement for moisturizer or foundation prep/base. There are some mists, such as Tatcha's Dewy Skin Mist ($48) and Amore Pacific's Moisture Bound Skin Energy ($35) that are said to be moisturizing enough to stand on its own in summer, but I have my doubts because of the extremely light texture of mists.


I've come across plenty of facial mists before and I always thought it was a fun little toy. You always get a very nice refreshing feeling, especially one a hot day, from spraying your face with water. Coming from those fancy little spray bottles, the water sprays out in very tiny little droplets and doesn't get your face dripping wet like if you sprayed yourself in the face using an ironing spray bottle.

I would simply say facial mist is just water with a drop of perfume diluted in... or in the case of the homemademamas, water and green tea.

Homemade facial mist
There is a big range of facial mists. Really cheap ones, and some that cost a bomb. People in forums say that some (not all) of the costlier mists work better than the cheaper ones. It probably all boils down to that little extra ingredient that makes the product better than just water. 


I understand, if people buy mists that are water + something... but Evian's 100% mineral water mist? That's quite a lot to pay for just packaging.

Do I need facial mist?
Not really.

Is it fun?
Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share this!